What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Batch Resizing by Maximum Pixels

Kauz

Hi,

I know I'm new but I tried searching the forums and reading through as many possible answers as I could find.

I am a photo editor at a large (10,000 issue daily) college newspaper. As part of the job I need to edit a large number of images for web galleries.

I'm trying to find a way to batch edit photos so that they are either a maximum of 700 px high or 700 px wide, depending on if they are horizontal or vertical. I also would like it to just be able to open a RAW file as is, and do the resizing, and save as a small-ish (200 kb) jpeg.

I've made actions before, but this is just beyond my creativity. When I tried doing it just for jpegs, for some reason, the action would only open the one jpeg I recorded the action on and do the proper editing, then close. It also would not work had I tried it on a vertical photo (as the one I created it for was horizontal). My other actions had never only worked to open one specific file, when I said "Open", but I don't know what was different in this case.

Thanks for your help. I hope you can.

The simple answer is to use File - Automate - Fit Image
If you have Photoshop CS5 there is a much faster way of doing it, and that is to use Bridge, select the export window and use "Save to Hard Drive"

Back