What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Batarang prop restoration

SavageKeaton

Need to straighten the pointed edges of this Batarang prop (Photo 1). I've started work on a transparent background .png but the straightening of the shape beyond my skill level. The Batarang prop has aged and the outer points are drooping, this Batarang prop should not be shaped liked a crescent moon, its more like a triangle. A boomerang with a very straight top edge where the hinged screw wing starts.

Additionally I'd like some clean up on the surface detail on the wings if possible, the lines where the folds of the retractable wings have texture could be more visible from a distance. Also, bring out the detail of the screws at the hinges and the sculpted line around the core triangular center shape that leads to the button pad at the bottom of the Batarang prop.

I kind of like the "white" coloration around the Batarang prop as it helps it stand out on a dark background, but I'd like it toned down a bit on the finished straightened wings and tips, I'd like the edge coloration to be a little more consistent with the rest of the Batarang prop.

There aren't many decent reference photos for this Batarang prop available online as it is highly inaccurately represented as s crescent moon shape on replicas and artwork.

Photo 1

sideview.png

Reference Photos
bluesideview.jpeg

propstoreblack.jpeg

Hi @SavageKeaton
That was a long list of requests with a pretty poor starting image.
Here is what I could do with the time I had available.
If you don't get the results or response you need on the Free Forum, you might want to consider the Paid Forum
Just a suggestion and hope this helps.
John Wheeler

The following image is a PNG with a transparent background. The transparency that you had in your image had partial transparency in the interior of the image so I started from scratch. l with a different reference image.

Batarang-flattened-adj.png

this Batarang prop should not be shaped liked a crescent moon, its more like a triangle. A boomerang with a very straight top edge where the hinged screw wing starts.
I think the OP wants the leading edge of the Batarang wings to be straight.

Screen Shot 2023-11-11 at 2.01.54 AM.png

Example overlay
Screen Shot 2023-11-11 at 2.02.03 AM.png

More like a triangle
Screen Shot 2023-11-11 at 2.02.12 AM.png

Yeah i mentioned twice that it should not be shaped like a crescent moon. And if you read the start of the second paragraph it says "if possible" totally separated from the first paragraph that makes it clear that the straightening of the the top edge of the wings if the main goal. Any cleanup or detail enhancement I leave pretty open ended, just suggestions As for the quality of the image i started work on i have to disagree as it is the best flat representation of what the real prop was like while you went out and obtained a poor replica shaped a like a crescent moon that i was trying to avoid. I also think my purposely spotted, more organic looking LCD screen looks better overall, more authentic to the time and at a distance. But that's just my opinion of course (i've spent years thinking about this)

Sorry to bother everyone I thought this would be a relatively simple project. If there are any Batman fans out there that have Spare Time to work this I would really appreciate it. If you have the ability to recognize the crescent moon problem we have with this prop online this really important work to be part of. You really would be making the universe a better place.

I can't use that, the outer edge of the wings are still inexplicably rounded like crescent moon. Doesn't resemble a triangular shape starting from the hinge screw.

so the free request section is basically just for head swaps and such? I spent time looking through these before posting and some of the changes to photos seemed harder to pull off than this.

Back