What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to me! Gradient on a path!

lasa

Power User
Somebody on another forum asked if they could bend a gradient allong a path..They had made a bent path and wanted to apply a gradient to it to make it look like a tube..but the gradient makes a straight line doesn not follow the bent tube...etc.
I showed them that you can grab the straight tube with an applied gradient and shear it...if worked for them...
then a pesron that goes by SCync answers as follows:

start quote
1. Make sure your object on its own layer.
2. Click the Layer Style button and select Stroke.
3. When the dialog comes up change the position to Inside, and slide the size over until the object is filled with the stroke colour.
4. Change the fill type to Gradient, and now the magic, change the style to Shape Burst. You can change the gradient colours to your pleasing.
end quote

To test this make any curved black line...the gradient will follow the line..

I would attach a picture but I'm not allowed for some reason...
Anyway I wanted to share this tip from " SCync" Maybe I'm the only person in the world that didn't know this but...here it is.
Lasa

WHAT you've know about this!!??? I've tried everything.. I've got books...I've visited every PS forums from El Salvador to Odessa ...I read Napp for godsake...I've begged.. pleaded... but noooooo... everybody kept this information from me...me! I'll sue, that what I'd do, sue the whole lot..every last one of you!
I want the name and address of every last person that has ever been near this forum or any other forum on the net since the big bang!!

LOL...Wow that felt good,
I had never even seen the SHAPE BURST..much less used the beasty...very cool.

Lasa

Hey lasa, all you had to do was ask the kids on the block! [shhh]

Et tu SCync...? My god what are you Zorro! coming out of the wood work like that!..

It's been a couple of days and I'm still in amazment!...Shape burst!
Thanks for the tip..
Lasa

Well, shape burst is not the only option out there, as you can see several members of PsT (that sometimes visit PsG too) did find alternative solutions, although Phosphor did not tell us 'his' solution.

What I like in my solution (that is not valid, since there was no option to do a color fade whith the brush, I think when he posted his original challenge on Team Photoshop), to use a gradient map adjustment layer, is that it allows you to change the actual gradient applied.

still, no solution would allow you to change the path and have the gradient follow that change. Maybe until a future version of Photoshop arises with even more new tools.

sPECtre, just got around to reading the thread...very very interesting.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Lasa

Back