What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Canvas Advanced Settings

Bursal

Hi

I am a casual Photoshop user and a friend uses my computer to print photos. I want to set a new preset so that things like paper profile, size, orientation and transparency are set. What I am not sure about is the colour profile that is used in the advanced settings. Is this the printer/paper or monitor? I use a Spyder 4 Express to calibrate my monitor. :banghead:

Thanks for reading my post and I hope you can help.
Di

Where are the Advanced settings you're talking about?
They're not in the Print dialogue area.

Here's what you should do when printing in PS.
Open your printer settings and disable all automatic, print enchantment settings and ICM settings.

When you open the print dialogue settings in Photoshop use Photoshop manages colors.
If your printer supports individual paper settings select your exact paper in the Printer Profile setting.

On my Canon Pixma Pro 9000 I can choose the exact paper i.e. Photo Glossy Paper is not the same as Photo Plus Glossy Paper 2.
Experiment with the Rendering Intent, I start with Relative Colorimetric and check Black point compensation.

If your printer doesn't supply or support ICC paper profiles, match you're PS setting to the printer setting.

31762d1367276978-photoshop-print-colour-major-issues-ss.jpg

On the bottom the the Printer window there's a Gamut warning box.
If you check that you'll get an idea of what's not going to print properly.

Also make sure you're working in RGB.
From Printing from Photoshop CS5

About desktop printing

If your image is in RGB mode, do not convert the document to CMYK mode when printing to a desktop printer. Work entirely in RGB mode. As a rule, desktop printers are configured to accept RGB data and use internal software to convert to CMYK. If you send CMYK data, most desktop printers apply a conversion anyway, with unpredictable results.

Thanks for the fast replies. IamSam has indicated the setting I am not sure about, I suspect it should be set somewhere else as well and this dialog box is reflecting the setting. So what should it be?

Di

Thanks for the fast replies. IamSam has indicated the setting I am not sure about, I suspect it should be set somewhere else as well and this dialog box is reflecting the setting. So what should it be?

Di

Steve what I want is an A4 transarent canvas that can be opened and one or images can be placed on the canvas, resized, rotated and or corrected. It is to make the procedure easier. I have written a tutorial to help with the placement, resizing etc, and I wondered what I needed in the new canvas settings.

Thanks
Di

Bursal, sorry so late to answer you here, got tied up. I always use Adobe RGB (1998) in the new canvas advanced setting.

Just as important are your color settings, Take a look at this webpage, it offers some explanation about color profile.

This is a helpful tube vid on color settings as well.

Steve what I want is an A4 transarent canvas that can be opened and one or images can be placed on the canvas, resized, rotated and or corrected. It is to make the procedure easier. I have written a tutorial to help with the placement, resizing etc, and I wondered what I needed in the new canvas settings.

Thanks
Di

I took a very quick look at the link Sam posted.
The settings in that link seem to be the settings I use.

Those settings make Adobe RGB the default RGB profile, the check boxes give you a warning message if there's a mismatch.
At that point you can convert an sRGB to an Adobe RGB, or not.

There isn't an advantage to converting up, the color space is larger but the colors haven't changed in the image.

The setting in the color profile box should be the color space that was used when the photo was take.
I don't see the advantage of opening a new canvas and dropping a photo in.
You're adding an unnecessary step if you're opening a single image.
Open the image in Photoshop and the correct color space will be loaded.

If you're doing it this way because you need a larger canvas than the image to accommodate several images, use the color profile that was used in the camera.
If you don't know, use Adobe RGB.

Thanks I have got it sorted out in my head now, colour spaces, colour modes and colour models can be very confusing. I will check her camera today and make sure it is set to AdobeRGB then I can use that in her Photoshop settings, it's what my camera is set to anyway.

She wanted canvases that are paper sizes rather than image sizes so I have had to do tuts on place and transform. That way it is easier for her. My next challange is to get her to shoot RAW and learn Adobe Camera RAW, why use a $1500 Nikon outfit and shoot jpeg.

Thanks again. :razz:

.......................... She wanted canvases that are paper sizes rather than image sizes so I have had to do tuts on place and transform. That way it is easier for her. My next challange is to get her to shoot RAW and learn Adobe Camera RAW, why use a $1500 Nikon outfit and shoot jpeg.

Thanks again. :razz:

I still can't understand why.
She's looking for shortcuts to avoid learning a proper workflow in PS.

If she starts shooting RAW (and she should) she won't be able to use that method.
The image will open in ACR and then in PS.

She can deal with paper size when printing and use "Scale to print size" for any paper size she wants.

I certainly can understand why one might be tempted to "help" someone by doing some steps for them, but I'm totally in agreement with Steve's comment that it would be much, much better for her in the long run to learn the basics and develop a good workflow.

Practically on a daily basis, we have people drop in on this forum and ask questions that clearly show that they haven't learned the basics and are have been struggling with simple tasks. If I understand your situation correctly, IMHO, it will be to her long term benefit to do as Steve suggested.

Just my $0.02,

Tom

Back